What is WordPress, what is it for and how does it work?
Still don’t know what WordPress is ? Do you want to make a website and you are trying to learn code with a lot of effort? The secret of almost 40% of the websites that have been created in history is WordPress .
If you don’t know WordPress and you want to create a website in a much easier way than by typing code, in this article we are going to tell you how to achieve it .
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a web content management system (CMS or content management system ), which in a nutshell is a system for publishing content on the web in a simple way . It is so common now that it is the absolute leader worldwide for the creation of websites for many years.
It is an open source software (you can have access to all the code) that we can also try to improve within your community. Therefore WordPress is free and we can download it from its wordpress.org servers for different purposes.
WordPress came to democratize the web, like other CMS. Since 2003 , it is a content management system that means that the creation of web content does not depend only on programmers and people with high technical knowledge. Now anyone can create a website
WordPress is divided into three parts :
- Core : WordPress itself, which is absolutely free and downloadable.
- Themes : used to change the appearance of the web. There is a huge free repository, but there are also paid resources outside of the repository.
- Plugins – Utilities that can turn your website into almost anything. As well as the themes, there is a free repository and thousands of companies that sell their features.
How does WordPress work?
But how does WordPress work in a nutshell?
- First of all you must have a hosting that is associated with a domain . Any hosting company will help you with this step, which is usually automatic on the cheapest (shared) servers.
- Later, we will be able to install WordPress automatically and we will already have it hosted in our hosting and under our domain.
- Once installed, we must go to Settings and show that we have planned our website in terms of URLs, images, site title, description…
- If we need more utilities, we must go to Plugins and start installing them. If we want a layout of the theme repository, we must go to Appearance.
- To create dynamic content we have the Posts option . To create static content we have the Pages option .
And basically with this we will have already created our website, very basic, and we will have added its first contents.